Thursday, January 2, 2020

"Life goes on; carry on with your life"

Haven't posted a blog in several months. Not that there wasn't any interest, or I wasn't being read, but only because Life has Her way of taking you on a journey you are seldom prepared for.

I didn't bother to check when I made my last entry in this space -- all I can say: I am here now and I want to share that I've begun something I resisted for a very long time. I'm using a journal :-) making little observations, jotting down thoughts and reminiscing over things that I usually keep in my mind, to myself. Should confess -- it is addictive!

This habit I didn't think much of, has somehow become a muse. A writer-friend tried convincing me over a few conversations; stubborn me wouldn't see value -- it's different now. There had to be a trigger for me to begin. I see it this way now.

My mother -- she has passed. But not without sudden turn of events. It was cancer -- the 1% in a million kind -- that took her away in exactly 30 days from diagnosis. I spent most of these difficult days being a friend, creating distraction, transferring strength...
The last thing she said to me was: Life goes on; carry on with your life.

No idea how these happenings landed me on the threshold of Epicurus! This guy lived in 341 - 270 BC and spoke the wisest, simple stuff I've heard so far...
I quote:
"There are many things outside the control of our life, therefore many things could befall us, and make our lives very difficult." Gosh. The simplicity and weightage of these words were clear to a fellow human ages ago. Somewhere else he has said: 'Man is miserable because he desires things that he need not desire'.

But the most interesting observation Epicurus makes is about God and His ability to hold our lives ransom! The riddle goes like this:

God, either wishes to take away evils and is unable to
or,
He is able, and is unwilling
or,
He is neither willing nor able
or,
He is both willing and able

To carry on with my life as my mother has wished, I'll do well to remember the Epicurean paradox!



1 comment: